Suitable for key stage 2
Focues on the life and work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
After viewing and discussing the powerpoint, Josh and I got all inspired and we’re creating a Conan Doyle board game.
Facts about Conan Doyle:
- In his early life he trained as a surgeon. His first job was medic on-board a whaling ship to the Artic Circle. This unlocked a sense of adventure that stayed with him throughout his entire life.
- He was a professional cricketer and he played soccer in goal for Portsmouth FC.
- He created the famous character Sherlock Holmes.
- Without Doyle there would be no Jurassic Park. When he wrote The Lost World, the term dinosaur hadn’t been around for two centuries. The book was hugely influential in bringing dinosaurs into fiction and inspired loads of novels and films, including Jurassic Park and King Kong.
- He had a friendship with the famous magician Houdini.
- He was an amateur detective. He took on a number of mysterious cases including the infamous hunt in Whitechapel for Jack the Ripper.
- He believed in fairies. When a photograph emerged showing a young girl surrounded by fairies, Doyle hailed its authenticity, believing it was clear evidence of psychic phenomena. He wrote a book called The Coming of the Fairies and spent a million dollars promoting their validity. It wasn’t until long after Doyle’s death that the girl eventually admitted it was a hoax.